Prevent Intrusions with Regular Checks03/31/2014 Back To Blog
Installing the right security door locks and high tech systems at your house is of great essence. Though, making sure of their efficiency is equally important. Locks, which don't lock, are of no value whatsoever and, in fact, they will create the illusion that your home is secured when it's not. Keep in mind that perpetrators know how to distinguish when homes are really secure and impenetrable and when there are holes in their security systems. What's the point of installing motion light detectors if they don't work? Checking the locks and perimeter of the house, the currently installed security systems and every little camera, burglar deterrent or the wall alarm panel is of the utmost significance and must not be neglected.
7 ways to check the house
- Start by checking the door locks. Make sure the windows lock well, too. Try the efficiency of each lock and ensure the strike plate is secured properly against the door jamb.
- Make sure your keys are in excellent condition, too. Keys, which don't rotate unless force is imposed on them or damaged, rusty and bent keys won't serve you anything. In fact, they will eventually cause problems and possibly a house lockout.
- If you have installed burglar deterrents, check them periodically one by one. What's the point of having an alarm system if it doesn't work?
- If you have outdoor lights, make sure they work fine. If they are motion-activated, walk through to ensure they will be turned on.
- Gates, fences and garage doors ought to be checked, too. In fact, garages doors are the favorite entry points of many perpetrators and that's why giving attention to their repair is vital. Though, you should also proceed with deadbolt installation in the door in between and keep it locked at all times.
- Check the condition of the wall panel, the efficiency of the batteries in each security gadget, the rods at sliding glass doors and the burglar bars at windows.
- Remember simple things like closing the blinds, keeping the keys safe, proceeding with key replacement to have duplicates and locking the doors every time you enter or exit the house.